Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Norco ZFS

Benton called with the idea of putting a ZFS filesystem on a Norco. I was asked about LVM+RAID, but I got to admit that Mike Fedyk is probably the right person to answer those questions. But it got me thinking about creating a 12 Terrabyte storage server with 1 Gig SATA $199 drives. Total price $3168 and 3Us on the rack. ZFS is really cool and I do want to play with it. Seems he had problems with Solaris, so is now going to attempt it with Ubuntu 8.04, cool stuff, hope to blog more about this. Maybe I can even get one of these toys myself to play with. At least I can play with ZFS on a system I already have, last talk I went to it made me want to install Solaris, but now that I hear Ubuntu, yes, that is even better. I don't think I have ever been excited about a file system before, but ZFS does have cool features.

No comments: