Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 6, 2007

New Beginnings

I finally broke down yesterday and did a factory reinstall to the original 80 Gig drive that came in the PC. I got to say that it works so much better, I can not only login, but it is fast now. I have so far installed FireFox and Skype. This really makes me want to do that new computer company that sells Ubuntu machines with first rate support again. Not that XP worked completely horridly, it did work for some years before I had to reinstall, but having to reinstall is a real pain. I also installed Ubuntu 7.04 on the 200Gig drive that has all the data. I think that once I switch the HD back to the big one I will be inclined to fix the login problem and then use Ubuntu for a while. My Laptop runs Dapper, and it is great, had no problems yet, but then again haven't tested it as long as I tested XP Home. FireFox has to be the program I use the most, I could get it done in IE, no problem, but there are some little details that make FireFox the better choice for me. I also like Skype better the the Messenger App that comes with XP. Probably not a real need, after all the Messenger does all of that. I also stuck the Ubuntu CD in and installed ThunderBird and CamWin. So I lasted 6 years without a factory restore, I did reinstall XP on top of the current install several times, but that didn't get rid of all the crap. For the record I guess I should mention the procedure:
1) Recovery CD option 4 Factory Restore
2) Windows XP SP2 CD, which I had ordered from MS a long time ago, but never used.
3) All patches
4) ClamWin
Meanwhile still trying to get Peter to answer my call. I wonder if all of his clients have such a hard time. They must be getting terrible service, unless I am the only one he doesn't pay attention too.

So Ron calls me to say that Vista is upgrading just like Linux distros, right away, no more Tuesdays where your Windows XP Home gets bricked, now it can happen any day :) So eEye and Nod32 are the Anti-virus and anti-spy ware that he had recommended but also Windows Defender is free for XP, ships on Vista.

No comments: