Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 7, 2008

No lights, simple life, Skype phone

In the past few years I have had a dry spell working, I was lucky to get a house sitting gig living in a house way to big for me and it was a great experience. I had to do lots of yard work and was beat at the end of the day, didn't turn on any lights, saved electricity that way, but also got adjusted to the natural cycle of sleeping at night and maximizing the sun light. Learned how to use Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP in those times. I ran a Linux server all time time for Russbo.com, a site on the Shaolin Temple that needed some scripts for the Bulletin boards. Today I noticed that I am getting good reviews on Keen.com on my Linux experience. Last weekend I heard I was getting a glowing review from a caller, so when I checked, he didn't lie, he indeed gave me a glowing review, I felt so flattered when I saw that I had a few of them. I do need the money from these calls, but also having a good review is very important for future business.

Today I was doing a search on one of my pet peeves, I can't use my Creative Skype Internet DECT Model: SZ1943 phone on Linux. This has been pretty annoying since I service Linux machines in a cage at a colo and would love to be able to plug what is a USB sound card with some telephony fuctions into on of these machines and have a telephone for only $3/month Skype charges for unlimited long distance. It would be a great deal if it worked, but having to install Windows on one of these systems to run a phone wouldn't be possible. I wish someone would write a driver. I found an interesting drop shipping site I didn't know about, Doba. Might be a good place to get items, but they want a credit card just to start browsing, I don't think so.

So as I pasted this from OpenOffice into the web browser it came in with all kinds of HTML that Blogger puked on, oh well, not the way to do it.

No comments: