Total Pageviews

Monday, December 10, 2007

slept like a baby

Been busy this eweekend. After a rather boring LiLAX meeting we went to the airport, picked up Eric and took him to Mike's Sandwich shop, where Howard was waiting from the LiLAX meeting. This was our after meeting. I still have to download the pictures off the N95, darn I had already put it back in the shipping box as I don't really have a use for it, the T-Mobile chip is back in the old Nokia 3650, took me forever to wade through the menus to find the name, T-Mobile doesn't stamp the model on the phone. So Charles goes his way, thanks for driving and we get the new MacBook Pro out of the suitcase and plug it in, startup and wow, it asks a few personal details and up we are with a .MAC account free for 90 days and everything. It is a very nice laptop, big screen, rounded edges, perfect in every detail, too bad the things are expensive, now I need to find an employer as I want toys. The next thing we hooked up was the Meraki, you go to the dashboard an put your address in the name of the network, you give it the order number of your unit and add it to the network, plug the ether in and now it is sharing your bandwidth wireless, all very nice. You can order more of them as repeaters you need 1 for every 10 connected they work out amongst themselves what the best routing is and it is all centrally controlled and monitored. Pretty cool I would say, except I already have an access point that I want to repeat, can't get it to work that way, not buying another Merak, for $49.99, probably getting some other solution as this one doesn't do that from what I can research. The only cool thing it did was that I could connect the client to it and it will give me internet off the Meraki network for this one over the wire.

So off to hacking the Meraki, you can in fact login into it from the ethernet port and browse to 10.128.128.128 and in the advanced screen you can join a SSID, just what I wanted, but they don't support it and write it is DEPRICATED, who cares, it works, life is good again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is an eweekend? Or is that a typo? :)


There are in fact multiple versions of the meraki at different price points. Also once the first one is setup, additional nodes find the other merakis via the OUI portion of the MAC address.

As for the 1 router per 10 clients.... I am not sure that is really necessary. Unless the firmware on these things is incredibly bad quality.

I would recommend looking into Wireless Distrubution System (WDS) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System for what you want to do.

That is all.