Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

SPAM

No it doesn't keep me awake, too much, but it does waste so much of my time. Maybe there are too many ways to get in touch with me. I currently have 1 mailing address, 6 phone numbers, and more then 10 email addresses that I have been accumulating over the years. Some email addresses have been gotten rid of others I don't pay for so they don't bother me, however some of them are so over flowing with SPAM I might as well abandon them. I was thinking that since they are free addresses and I can get rid of all the legitimate traffic, I could give the rest to a company to use it as a way to study SPAM. In other words, after I remove all the real email and answer with a new address, the rest is what, pure SPAM, it can help in identifying other SPAM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have one e-mail address (charles@thewybles.com) and use it everywhere. I get a good amount of spam [about 100 per day] and they all go to my spam folder. I delete the messages about once a week.

I just use bayesian filtering. An incredibly simple system to setup and maintain. My spam filtering consists of dragging messages that make it through (or are tagged as unsure and are spam) into a junk_yes folder and copying good messages (that are in unsure and sometimes i just grab a batch of messages from people and copy them) into the junk_no folder. Have a cron script that runs every 30 minutes and does a classification.

Works like a charm. My dad and I set it up a few years ago. So easy to use for everyone in the family. Just drag and drop.