Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chat Roulette

I hate talking about this site, but after Stephan introduced me to it, I have been obsessed by it. Something about 100% growth a day got me to pay attention.

[2/22/10 4:48:17 PM] Stephen: Geez, awesome idea.
Why didn't I come up with it?
http://www.ChatRoulette.com
Lots of freaks out there!

So this 17 year old kid in Russia can't find random people fast enough on Skype, he is in the NY times. I hear about the bubble CD girl, and Sticher; consider moving LiLAX to Google AppEng, to save on free hosting and scaling it, but mostly to learn about their cloud services.

However, after some time, I went on the site and decided I should shave and get a haircut, I was being nexted every second. This site sucks, however it is featured in the NYTimes and has a million dollar valuation on SiteLogr. Even has some imitators: the defunct Polish AnoChat, which is working again, but sparsely populated, I don't get nexted as much, and often will get reconnected to the same people. So I google chat roulette and find that Youtube has many videos including the Chat Roulette: Eye Vagina so I try to put the crack between to fingers up on the site and I don't get nexted as much, people find it entertaining, and don't quite know what they are seeing until they see me through the fingers and of course I get nexted, but not after getting a good laugh. At this point I want to build my own CR using Skype.

[2/28/10 12:19:53 PM] Stephen: I see there is an app in Ubuntu that lets you play video to a loopback driver for use as a fake webcam.
apt-get webcamstudio
it worked for the test
http://oldes.multimedia.cz/swf/mx-webcam.html
but I couldn't get chatroulette's flash app to use it ... maybe they hard-coded to exclude loopback, I don't know.
But thought I would share the alternatives to CamTwist (for Mac) and SplitCam (for Windows).

This skype conversation goes on for weeks. I keep returning to the SiteLogr graph, from Alexa and am stunned. It just keeps going, they now have P2P, the idea I was going to implement on Skype, another idea I didn't have time to complete. WSJ has CR by the numbers.

[3/2/10 2:08:08 PM] Stephen: http://omegle.com/
[3/2/10 2:08:58 PM] RalfX: chatrt without video. hmmm
OK I try Omegle:
You: hi
Stranger: hi
You: chatrt without video. hmmm
Stranger: ?
You: http://www.chatroulette.com/
Stranger: i know that site
Stranger: it is bullshit
You: however it used to grow 100%/day
Stranger: sure
Stranger: evebody shows dick on that site
Isn't as much fun without sound and video, just like the old IRC, how 80s.

[3/2/10 4:53:38 PM] Stephen: http://www.good.is/post/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-chat-roulette-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

[3/8/10 11:15:30 AM] Stephen: Guess what I did with my Sunday:
http://ChatRevolution.Posterous.com

This is the coolest video I found on CR:

chat roulette from Casey Neistat on Vimeo.

and I spent some more time trying to engage people to talk:
Stranger: 9000
You: hmmmm
You: are you sure?
Stranger: yes
You: so 30x3x10=900
You: or 10x10x9=900
You: sorry no tits for you
Stranger: are you a man ?
You: u will never know
You: :P
Stranger: lol
Stranger: where ae youy ?
Stranger: are you
You: 6:06 am
Stranger: ouf
You: so if you wait until the sun raises, you could see
Stranger: but where?
You: however you could see another 1000 people until then
Stranger: i dont understand i'm french
You: hmmm, that is no excuse
Stranger: who are you ?!
You: hey I just heard France in http://twit.tv/natn128
You: which is the sound track
Stranger: an you where are you ?
You: in the bedroom
Stranger: but where is your bedroom ?
You: Je habit a Nice un anne et demi
You: 2nd floor
Stranger: on habite a coté de nice
You: wow
Stranger: et ouai the world is small
You: Gambetta 1996-97
Stranger: ok
Stranger: we go
Stranger: good bye !
You: ok
You: bye
Stranger: goog next

and then I went on to other distractions and work.

1 comment:

rajender said...

Good article, Tohla india is really a free and desi video chat option for chat with ajnabee. You can do desi video chat on tohla.in without registration.