Total Pageviews

Monday, April 23, 2007

Back home

I am not on my computer and the Internet I pay for in the USA, feels good to be back home after spending 12 days on ICEs and relatives. I was greeted by a letter from the IRS wanting more paperwork yuck! 20 days to comply and I thought that I was done with taxes, I figured 40 hours of my time have been unproductively used for this crap, now it will be more. Makes me wonder how much the nation uses to comply with tax law, there is a very big hidden cost in this country of people preparing taxes, even when you have help, which I didn't get, you still have to do lots of work.
Still haven't gotten TurboTax/Quicken to work right, but feel that I would rather try GNUCash and some open source tax software. Wouldn't trust it as much, after all there is no one to sue, but I feel pretty confident that something open source has been at least revised as much as the Wikipedia which is very high quality.
Now I wish I had some picture of our return, but the camera stayed secure and empty in my backpack through he whole excitement of if I was able to catch the next flight home on standby. I didn't mind getting stuck in either FRA or DFW since I had a train ticket to Fulda, would be easy to do or in the case of DFW, I used to live there and would rent a car to see the city before coming home, I bet in 10 years it has changed. I rather liked my years there, it was the first apartment I ever rented. I never furnished it though, only some garage sale items in there.

No comments: